Flood Insurance in North Carolina
Floods can be destructive. Just an inch of water is enough to cause damage worth thousands of dollars in property. The heavy rains that hit central Michigan a month ago that left communities homeless are a clear example of how destructive floodwaters can get. The interesting part? The area is not a high flood risk area, and many people did not have flood insurance. The same can happen in Four Oaks, NC.
That is why Lee Insurance Agency LLC recommends buying flood insurance to protect your property and loved ones. Here are a few things that every North Carolina resident should know about flood insurance.
Home insurance does not cover floods.
Many North Carolina residents assume that flood damage is also covered in their homeowner, renters or condo insurance. The truth is that water damage caused directly by floods is not covered. Residents have to buy separate flood insurance to protect their homes from flood water damage.
Flood insurance covers what matters to you
Like any other insurance policy, flood insurance comes with several essential coverages. While most coverages are similar to home insurance, flood insurance policies focus on what is likely to be damaged by water such as carpeting, appliances, and electrical systems. Here is what flood insurance covers.
- The house foundation, anchorage systems, staircase attached to the building, and the basement
- Detached garage that is used for parking or storage
- Permanently installed bookcases, paneling, cabinets, and wallboard
- Appliances and electrical systems in the house
- Central air conditioning, water heaters, and furnaces.
- Window treatments and carpeting
- Personal belongings like furniture clothing and electronic equipment
- Other valuables such as artwork
If you are buying flood insurance for the first time in Four Oaks, NC it is critical to understand that the policy becomes valid after 30 days from the date of purchase. The earlier you buy, the safer you are. Don't wait till the government warns you about pending floods to purchase insurance. Buy now and secure your home. Lee Insurance Agency LLC is here to help if you have any questions.